Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dodging Duck Poop

Ahhh, Lake Merritt... a beautiful oasis surrounded by duck poop and crazy people near downtown Oakland. This was the location of our Mentor Led Run on Saturday. I don't hate running at Lake Merritt, but I don't particularly LOVE it either. I think my least favorite part is (aside from all the duck poop) that you're just running in a circle. I'd much rather do an out and back course because then you have a clear sense of your halfway point. When you're running in a circle, you (or rather I, since I don't know how everyone else feels) don't ever get that feeling of being halfway done.

The one thing I was very happy about was all the sun we had on Saturday! When I woke up I expected to hear raindrops but it was thankfully silent. Even with the sun I was all bundled up when we first started out on our run and halfway through I had warmed up enough to peel off most of my layers. I had intended to do about 5 miles, but after one loop around the lake I was done. I'm not sure why I didn't have a great run (I won't say it was an awful run, just not great)-- I ate pretty well and slept well the night before, although I didn't eat breakfast. Whoops :( There were quiet a few of the other runners out there who said they also didn't have a great run. It must have just been one of those days!

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Oh how I miss dodging the duck poop with you!